About Me

My photo
Hi welcome to my blog! this is intended to be a reflective learning journal for my participation in the OCA BA Photography degree: The Art of Photography

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Exercise: Cropping

Cropping:

Cropping is an editing skill, and is often used to improve the composition of an image. For example, it can be used to fit an image to the available space - as we have seen in the exercise on placement and fitting the frame. I have used cropping as a design element in post production, especially when I have cropped images of urban scenes, the results tends to highlight shapes giving an abstract effect.

It is important to remember though, as Freeman states  cropping should not be an excuse for indecision at the time of taking a photograph - as "cropping introduces an interruption in the process of making a photograph, and most images benefit from continuity of vision"[20].

In this image, the first photograph is quite meaningless. However, cropping in gives an interesting dynamic view of the building bringing out the abstract effect in the vertical shot. I particularly wanted an abstract effect and cropping in on architecture, and canting the lens, can produce some great results.

Urban setting.



Field




When I choose this image to crop, I decided the main focus of attention would be the sheep in the foreground which stood out from the others.   Originally, when I took this shot, I was aiming to place the horizon high in the frame. I was also conscious of what we had learnt about placement in the frame,  and wanted to place the two sheep in the right hand upper side. In the end I decided on the final shot - purely because I find it quite humorous.

Path


 I took the photograph with the path in mind as my dominant element. I think the image works horizontally with both the path and the flower beds bending around the corner, adding a dynamic flow.  However, I wanted to separate out the path more so cropped it vertically.  It reminded me of something which I viewed recently [Brassai: Open Gutter, Paris, 1931 - see - http://www.atgetphotography.com/The-Photographers/BRASSAI.html (accessed 12 July 2012)].  Brassai, took night shots of Paris in the late 1920/30s.- which was amazing considering the technology of the day.



Conclusion:

As already stated, cropping is an effective compositional tool for post production.  I am constantly thinking about the Frame, and placement - earlier in my journal, I stated that composition is a very cognitive thing for me, and at this point in the course, I still have to focus very much on the elements of the frame and placement.  As a rule, I do not go out, and photograph with cropping in mind. It is very interesting to see the images, and the effect cropping has in changing the dominant element.

Freeman, Michael, (2007)The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos (2007) The ILex Press

No comments:

Post a Comment