About Me

My photo
Hi welcome to my blog! this is intended to be a reflective learning journal for my participation in the OCA BA Photography degree: The Art of Photography

Wednesday 12 September 2012

Exercise: Positioning a Point

We are asked to take three photographs in which there is a single point placed in a different part of the frame.

I began this exercise by reviewing old photographs which I had taken, and realising that many of my compositions were busy. For this exercise, I decided just to focus just  on one point in the frame. This might seem overly simplistic but it will help me going forward to identify the graphic elements in a photograph.



1. Here the gemstone is a point in the lower right hand of the frame.  It is near the right hand edge of the frame, its position gives the it a sense of direction/movement, i.e., its not static. 




2. Another gemstone, off centre this time, again, the placement which closer to the left hand edge of the frame, give a sense of dynamics.. the eye looks to the stone first, then travels right to the empty space of the right hand side and then around in a circular motion to the left and back on the stone again.
 3. A greenstone placed, top right hand of the frame.  This is an example of how colour is a graphic element - the stone stands out.  I could have turned this black and white, but wanted to remind myself of how colour can act as a point too! The eye is drawn to the greenstone, and then travels in an anticlockwise motion around the frame.
 
I have kept the above examples very simplistic - I wanted to see if there could be any dynamics in the frame with just one simple point. As shown though, the point dissects the image dividing the frame - and that in itself is a dynamic effect on the frame.



The fish here is in the lower right hand of the frame, and its position in relation to the right hand edge of the frame, gives it a sense of movement and direction.  There is a balancing effect with the  position of the fish in the frame, and the reflection of the water which moves in a diagonal line from the top left hand corner of the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment