About Me

My photo
Hi welcome to my blog! this is intended to be a reflective learning journal for my participation in the OCA BA Photography degree: The Art of Photography

Wednesday 4 July 2012

Exercise: Focal lengths - and different viewpoints

As we saw in the last exercise, different focal lengths (from the same viewpoint) can alter the perspective or character of an image.  In this exercise, the objective was to experiment with changing the stance or viewpoint by moving forward in a straight line with the camera.  We were asked to photograph a building or person in a setting with enough depth to show the differences in  two photographs, one with a telephoto lens and the other with a wide angel lens. I chose an ornamental feature in a local park.

telephoto @ 105mm from 11.9m

wide angel @ 24mm from 1.7m

In the first image, I framed the fountain tightly to fit the vertical frame. I was 11.9m from the subject and you can see the telephoto lens brings the subject closer. I am not certain though, whether this image is a bit flat.

For the second shot, I used the wide angle view and walked forward to a distance of 6.5 m from the subject to try and replicate the telephoto shot.  You can see the difference here, you can see the pond at the bottom of the fountain - something which was not visible in the telephoto shot.  Seemingly there is a difference in perspective here.
I have had to think quite carefully about the last two exercises, I don't think I had appreciated how much of an effect on perspective - changing an angel of view could be - I would never have thought about comparing the images through the viewfinder by walking forward in a straight line as I did above. 

Conclusion:

1. The point to remember is that the focal length of the lens determines the angel of view. Changing to a longer lens (telephoto) makes the subject appear closer and effects the amount of view you can take in.

2. If we change our standing point and move with the camera then this also changes the perspective of the image.

The course materials suggest from now on that when we look at scenes we should think in terms of wide-angel shots or telephoto.  Again, I find myself at a point where I really have to cognitively force myself to think like this.




No comments:

Post a Comment