About Me

My photo
Hi welcome to my blog! this is intended to be a reflective learning journal for my participation in the OCA BA Photography degree: The Art of Photography

Wednesday 22 August 2012

Preparation Assignment 1 (Image Selection)





Picture Selection

 
One thing so far which I have under estimated is the actual mental process of image selection.  Without a plan in mind, Ive found myself sitting at the computer for hours reviewing images, and not being critical enough - which leads to more reviewing.
 
I have been reading a great book by Tom Ang entitled Digital Photography Step by Step (2011) (Dorling Kindersley Ltd, Penguin Group (UK) ISBN 978-14053-4819-S.      After reading the few pages on images selection (in particular 180 -181).  I am now a huge fan of Tom's.
 

In summary:


1. Define your Aim - i.e,  establish your purpose from the outset (see my objectives plan)
 
2. First Pass - run quickly through all to the images to get a feel for the whole shoot - crux: end up with a manageable number of possibilities - rate these images 1 star at this stage.
 
3. Second Pass -  the aim here is to award more stars to outstanding images, pick the best shots. Look for stylistic consistency and make sure that you have featured all the requirements of the shoot.
 
4. Assess Quality - the range should be narrowed down by now - if not, repeat the steps above. Do a quality assessment, for tone, image colour and zoom in to examine defects.
 
5. Prepare Images make any white balance, exposure and tonal adjustments - do any specific adjustments in photoshop or Camera Raw removing specs of dust, crop, and correct slanted horizons.
 
6. Add Metadata:  (this for me so far has been very hit and miss). As Tom points out, this is a must for any future image searches.  Take the time to add tags that locate the image and even add a caption that describes the image.
 
I think this is a good overall a guideline and I shall keep this in mind whilst making my selection.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment